Have you been feeling a little aimless lately? Do employees lack a sense of purpose? Is everyone working toward different goals? Yes? It may be time to create a strategic plan!
Strategic planning is the process of creating specific strategies, implementing them, and evaluating the results. The process helps you establish a practical guide that defines both long-term goals and immediate next steps. A good strategic plan is a roadmap that clearly defines your starting point, your destination, and how to get there. While each strategic planning process is unique to the organization, the process typical involves…
- A review (or creation) of a mission and vision–everything an organization does should be rooted in these two pieces
- Environmental scan which may include historical context, stakeholder input, and clear understanding of the group’s organization and dynamics
- Strategic priorities that answer the question: What do we want to see in place in 3-5 years?
- A thorough look at blocks or hurdles that are preventing you from reaching your vision
- Innovative, substantial actions that deal with the hurdles and move you toward your vision
- SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, and Time-Bound) that describe when and how you will achieve success
- Action steps with person responsible and deadlines to ensure progress
Most importantly, strategic plans should be living documents that adapt to your changing environment. Once created, refer to it often to hold yourselves accountable, get tasks done, and make progress toward your goals. Call or email Align today to get started!